Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Six-Line Scenes

Guyses,

I always feel Midwestern when I address anyone as "guys." But it is a habit that makes me nostalgic, so I probably won't stop. Hope that's all right.

Adam Simon can tell you that when we were in prestigious playwrighting school, we often had to do this exercise that was "Six-Line Scenes." It was pretty awesome, low-pressure and high-fun! And it forces you to tell a story, however elaborate, in just six lines. You can have any number of characters, any setting, any circumstance, as long as it's in six lines.

I had a blog a few years ago that explored the six-line phenomenon, if you want a few examples. Also, to throw myself on the sword in hopes of reading better (or simply, other, though I'm sure they'll be better, too) scenes from yall, here's this:

(JEB and MAEVE in a bank, waiting in line. MAEVE has on a designer dress, her hair is just so, and her makeup is perfect.)

JEB
Looks like we gon' ta hav' us a rain t'day.

MAEVE
(Blink, blink)
Yes.
(Look away)

JEB
Them shoes ain't gon' like it.

MAEVE
They'll be fine.

JEB
I'm worried. One time when I was a baby, momma wen' out with shoes on and her shoes never came back. Neither did momma.

BANK TELLER
Next!

fin.


No comments:

Post a Comment